The Solicitors Regulation Authority requires us to provide pricing and services information relating to employment tribunal (unfair/wrongful dismissal) work we carry out.
We charge on an hourly basis. The hourly rate for our employment specialist, Sinead Keenan, is £220 per hour (excluding VAT). More information on Sinead’s qualifications and experience can be found here.
We can provide a more accurate estimate for your claim on request, however, our average range of costs for bringing and defending employment tribunal claims for unfair dismissal or wrongful dismissal are as follows:
- Simple case (typically a 1 day hearing with 2 witnesses): £5,000 – £10,000 (excluding VAT)
- Medium case (typically a 2-3 day hearing with up to 5 witnesses and possibly linked to other issues): £8,000 – £15,000 (excluding VAT)
- Complex case (typically more than a 3 day hearing): £15,000 – £20,000 (excluding VAT)
There is also an additional charge of £1,000 (excluding VAT) per day for our attendance at tribunal, if required.
Description of Services
The fee estimates set out above will typically cover the following services:
- Taking instructions, reviewing papers and advising on merits and the tribunal process;
- Conducting pre-claim conciliation to explore settlement;
- Preparing Grounds of Complaint or Response and submitting it to the tribunal;
- Preparing for a preliminary hearing and, if applicable, instructing Counsel;
- Complying with case management directions, such as disclosure, agreeing and preparing a bundle of documents, proofing witnesses and exchanging witness statements;
- Attending a conference with Counsel;
- Instructing Counsel to attend the hearing and, if required, attendance at the hearing;
- Conducting settlement negotiations throughout.
Disbursements are costs payable to third parties on your behalf. We instruct Counsel to carry out the advocacy at the hearing and present your case to the Tribunal. Counsel fees vary depending on experience but fees typically range from £1,000 to £3,000 (excluding VAT) for each day of the hearing, including preparation and attendance.
We also charge for printing at 15p per sheet.
The time taken from initial instructions to the final resolution depends on the stage at which your claim is resolved.
If settlement is reached at pre-claim conciliation your claim is likely to take up to 6 weeks, whereas if the claim proceeds to full hearing, it is likely to take 9-18 months to conclude.
Please note, the timescales and fees above are average estimates only. We would be happy to discuss your particular claim and circumstances in more detail and provide a more accurate estimate.